Wednesday, December 14, 2011

So many books....so little time.

One of the things I love (and will miss) about our city is the awesome public library. I love books, good books, and lots of them. We have a decent amount of books at home, but never quite enough for this bookworm. Sometimes Brett thinks we have too many books and, maybe, sometimes he is right. Our children are still young and teaching them to respect books (instead of tearing pages, coloring on pages, spilling drinks on pages...) hasn't materialized as well as we had hoped. But, the upside to that is that our children love, love, love books.

I started teaching Kieran to read about a year or so ago. It was a little frustrating for me at first, being new to this whole teaching thing and totally forgetting that I had to be taught to read (you mean I wasn't born that way?). But, we went at his pace and very quickly he surpassed my goals for him. This child has loved books since he was just a baby. He is so thrilled now to be able to read and nothing is safe anymore! 
(Yeah, Brett and I can't do that spelling thing anymore- you know i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m."Oh are you talking about ice cream, Mom!")

The end result is that I have created a monster!

This is his stack from our trip to the library on Monday. These are for him to read himself, not for me to read to him. I suspect this will last a week, maybe if I am lucky a week and a half. He is holding one book from his favorite series: Nate the Great, stories about a young detective boy and his cases. He informed me when we got home that he was pretty sure after this he will have read all the Nate the Great books our library has. I think he was disappointed. Oh well, the second time around is sometimes better!

 
This is how Sarena enjoys a stack of books!

No comments:

Post a Comment