Thursday, February 2, 2012

3 (or 4) years in the making...

Yesterday I was cleaning out my closet, trying to get rid of some things and trying to properly organize others. Trying to get a home ready to sell is proving quite the task! Anyway, I noticed my sewing kit on the shelf and thought about packing it away in a plastic tote. I haven't opened that in at least a year or two. I also noticed a pile of material on top, some pieces nicely pinned and cut out. About 3 (or more, I can't remember now) years ago I thought about making a bag/purse. Or maybe a diaper bag? I bought some material on clearance to try it out. I had no problem picking the pattern and cutting it out. But, as is often the case with me and sewing projects- it didn't get past that. It has been sitting in my closet waiting, waiting, and waiting.

As I looked at the fabric I thought, "There is no way I'm going to finish that. I might as well toss it. I haven't had my sewing machine out in a couple years. And the last time it was out, it needed major work." My sewing machine that is older than I am. The one my mom gave me after I was married, wondering why in the world I wanted that old thing when she could get me a new one. Well, now she has a new one and I am sure she has used it way more than I have used mine since my marriage. But then a thought crossed my mind, " Why not? Yes, why not finish it!"

So, down to the basement to drag out my sewing machine! Upstairs to rearrange my kitchen table to reach an outlet, and try to keep my kids from grabbing pins, scissors, and stop tripping over that cord! I had to go online just to figure out how to thread my machine. It took me a bit longer than I had hoped- those straps were such a pain to reverse. But, I did it!

It's not perfect, and I didn't get nearly what I had planned to accomplish yesterday done. But, it felt so good to do it and see the finished product.

And here it is:





No comments:

Post a Comment