Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It's a hummingbird?

About two weeks ago, I was outside around dusk trimming some of my bushes and plants. As I hauled away the cut branches I passed my honeysuckle vines. A little flutter caught my eye and I noticed a hummingbird hovering around the blossoms. I stepped back and saw not one, but three! Amazed, I just stood there and watched for a while.

The kids were still up, so I called them to come and see the hummingbirds. I also sent my oldest for my camera. But, as I watched closely, I realized that they were not hummingbirds. The body shape was different, though the creatures could hover and flutter just like hummingbirds. The numbers were multiply as well. First three, then five, then seven, then I lost track because they were all over. After watching them for a while and getting close enough to see their bodies, it became evident that they were moths. I had never heard of this before. (Yeah, so much for my former life as a biologist.)

I managed to get some really awesome shots. Amazing since they moved so fast and it was dark by then. I looked them up and they are a type of hummingbird moth: the white-striped sphynx moth.



No comments:

Post a Comment