Sunday, July 5, 2015

Choose Life

As part of my language studies, I have been reading some books/booklets that will hopefully be helpful to me in conversing and teaching with the people here in SE Asia. Two that I read lately have to do with Choosing Life. It is interesting to me that most of the women here do not seem to understand their own bodies, much less how life develops. These booklets helped to inform about this topic, but more than that (and to begin with) they informed the women themselves that they are valuable, that all human life is valuable and a gift from God.

In this culture and part of the world women seem to be viewed as less than, a possession, useless to educate, unwanted. The birth of a baby girl is often met with sadness. As a result, women do not see themselves as valuable at all. The words and actions that have spoken to them all their lives tell them the complete opposite. How can one value life, when they have been told their own life is worth nothing?

This got me to thinking.... what do I communicate to others with my words and actions? Do I tell them they are loved? Do I tell them they are a creation of God? Do I communicate that they are wanted? That their life has meaning and purpose?

Do my words and actions speak life or death to others? Value or worthlessness? A creation of God or a nobody from nowhere?

What about you?

Proverbs 18:21 " The tongue has the power of life or death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Speak Life- Toby Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment