Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Morning #1

So, this week I made a decision. I hope it will benefit me, my kids, our home, and maybe my husband. Today was my first day implementing it and, although it wasn't quite like I had imagined, I am quite pleased. Normally my mornings are quite slow. I am slow, the kids are slow, but not Brett. He's already gone, long gone. And then before we get to school and play, I feel like there are certain chores that must be done and things put away. So, often our day starts much too late. Then I am trying to catch up all day.

My decision is to have Brett wake me up before he leaves the house so I can exercise, shower, do morning chores, and other important things before the kids get up. That way, when they wake up we are ready for breakfast and to get started on our day.

However, this could be dangerous. I do not like to be woken up when I am deep in slumber. Or be torn from the comforts of my nice warm bed. And Brett gets up too early. I tried putting my alarm in the kitchen so I have to get out of bed. But, it usually wakes up one of the kids, and then I try to snuggle back in bed with them to get them back to sleep and it all goes to pot.

This morning, I grunted and groaned and tried really hard not to take out my decision on Brett. I mean he was just doing what I asked! He made it a bit easy by plowing out of the bedroom as soon as he had completed his task. Smart guy. So, I laid there thinking, "No one will know if I just go back to sleep. It's not like I have to be anywhere. Maybe just another 15 minutes. What time is it anyway?" But, after a minute or so of that, I heard Eliana's door. "Great! She's awake, got to get her back to bed without waking Sarena, The Crab!" So, I tucked her into my bed and rummaged around for a few clothes. Man, it seemed extra cold this morning.

After a bit more deliberating I dressed and went to the basement. I thought I'd start the fireplace since it was so cold, but for some reason it wouldn't start. Finally figured out that if I just start exercising I will warm up just fine. After 25-30 minutes of kickboxing, I felt much more awake and quite warm. I didn't get quite as much done as I wanted this morning. But it is a start, a very good start for me. It sure was nice to be awake before the kids and get something accomplished. I felt much more ready to tackle the day this morning. Let's see how long I can keep this up.

4 comments:

  1. Love hearing I am not the only one that doesn't like crawling out of my snugly bed in the morning!! I do recall the days of having the little ones that you have to be awake to care for!!!! It gets even harder to make yourself get out of bed when they don't "need" you persay. So, awesome job!!! I know it's a great accomplishment and something hard to do, but it can be quite rewarding! :o)

    Oh, and I loved hearing the alarm clock in the kitchen bit!!! That's great!!! I don't think I would hear it! I never even hear the alarm clock J has set that goes off every morning in our room!! I was laughing picturing all you wrote though!!! Miss you guys!!!! LOTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, unfortunately I went from being a very sound sleeper to a very light sleeper. Thing is, if I wake up but my feet don't hit the floor, I can usually go back to sleep. But if I have to get up, then I'm awake. This morning I got up early again, not quite so much deliberating this morning. But, girls were up a half hour early today. Still not bad though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to start getting up earlier, too. It's hard right now..I'm 8 weeks and exhausted! I'm glad all your kiddos are on the mend. Mine have been sick all week..first Obie, with a ruptured ear drum last weekend (he's on abx now), then Caleb got a high fever on Monday..and now Eliahna has a fever. I doubt we'll make it to church tomorrow.
    Anyway..now that children are mostly sleeping at night again..I want to get back into a routine. I don't think I want Gabe waking me though..he's up at 4am for work. :P Coffee used to be my motivator for getting my tush out of bed..but now I can't stand the thought of it. I'd love to wake before all the kids..have quiet time to read and pray, start laundry, get dressed..and start school by 830! It really sets the tone of the day when the morning goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know about the sick thing. Seems like we're finally over it. Liam ruptured both his eardrums. So frustrating. Hope your kids feel better. You have a good reason to rest and sleep in the mornings. Don't push yourself too much. I've managed to wake up early every day so far. It really dies feel good to be moving before the kids wake up. A head start is nice. But, now its hard to stay up after they go to bed. I'm just wiped.

    ReplyDelete